District of Mina established 1826 by Stephen F. Austin and named for Spanish general Francisco Xavier Mina.
In events leading up to the Texas Revolution, according to some sources, members of the district of Mina at the Convention of 1832 were actually people from the Matagorda area rather than what became Bastrop County.
Mina Municipality of Coahuila and Texas established 1834 including all or part of the following present day counties: Bastrop, Blanco, Brown, Burnet, Callahan, Coleman, Comal, Eastland, Fayette, Gillespie, Hamilton, Hays, Lampasas, Lavaca, Lee, Mills, Runnels, Taylor and Travis; A small eastern section removed 1/8/1836; Convention of 1836 made it a county on March 17, 1836 as one of 23 original counties; Name changed to Bastrop County in honor of the Baron de Bastrop April 8, 1837 when Bastrop County was organized. The County Seat of Mina was also changed to Bastrop. In 1840 when Travis County was formed, Bastrop County shrank almost to its present size. -Handbook of Texas Online: Bastrop County, Matagorda County